It's a scary thought - that if children and young people lose contact with nature, they are less likely to fight to protect it as they get older. It's this thought that drives the work of Action for Conservation, a UK charity that aims to empower young people to take action to protect the environment.
Through their residential conservation camps and WildED workshops run in schools, the charity set out to inspire, educate and reconnect children with the wonders of the natural world. But this is about more than just education and reconnection. It's about action, as children are encouraged to pitch ideas for, and initiate their own conservation projects.
Why we think they're great
This charity has foresight and that's unique. They see the seriousness of a world in which people aren't engaged with nature and they're acting on it while we still have time. Through a belief in young people to drive change, and by making workshops accessible to all kids, regardless of circumstance, they're creating a youth movement committed to conservation.
Other selected charities:
- Carbon ReductionCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
If we want to sustain life on this planet we need to cut our carbon emissions, while also dealing with the excess of carbon in our atmosphere already wreaking havoc on our climate. Science is leading the way in this field and there are some exciting innovations.
- Marine ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
The ocean is a total powerhouse when it comes to regulating the Earth’s climate, yet human actions have wreaked havoc on marine ecosystems. In order to rebalance our planet, we must protect our oceans and revolutionise the way we fish, the world over.
- Forest ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Forests are astonishing places. Not only are they important habitats for millions of species, but they also play a crucial role in mitigating the effects of climate change. We must invest in worldwide conservation projects dedicated to preserving them.
- Climate ResilienceCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Poverty and climate change are cruelly interlinked and this is especially true when you look at access to clean energy and water. Projects that champion clean energy solutions and which work to create climate-resilient communities are an integral part of the fight to save our planet.
- Food & AgricultureCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Food, agriculture and the climate crisis are inextricably linked. Fortunately there are sustainable food organisations and forward thinking farmers out there fighting for positive change. These are the people we need to get behind.
- Education & AdvocacyCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Don’t underestimate the power of a well informed public - this puts pressure on governments and businesses, and that drives change. These organisations are enabling systemic change among the mainstream by educating and challenging the status quo.
Set up once,
You make one monthly donation and we'll distribute it between the causes in your personal collection.Create your collection
- We'll start you off with £10 free credit towards your chosen causes so you have a chance to see how Tythe works.
No platform fees
- We don't charge any admin fee or commission on donations. Your charities receive the full amount minus third party card fees.
Tangible impact updates
- We'll keep you engaged with the actions you're supporting, and help you understand the actual difference you're making.