Bold, innovative and on a mission, Blue Marine Foundation plays a monumental role in ocean conservation.
A terrifying combination of climate change, pollution and overfishing are having catastrophic consequences for marine life and the ocean's ability to capture carbon. But Blue Marine Foundation are adamant - this problem is solvable.
The organisation is unique because it comes at the issue from all angles. By working top-down with governments, they're able to improve the governance of our seas and secure marine protected areas. And by working bottom-up with fisher communities, they've been able to develop and implement models for sustainable fishing practices.
Why we think they're great
These folks are unrelenting and that's how they get things done. By fronting legal challenges, through worldwide education initiatives and through ground-breaking research projects, they're restoring our ocean to health.
To date, they've set up 21 project locations around the world and have secured commitments to protect over 4 million square kilometres of ocean. Next up on their to-do list? To see at least 30% of the world's ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70% managed in a responsible way.
Other selected charities:
- Reimagining CarbonCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
If we want to sustain life on this planet we need to cut our carbon emissions, while also dealing with the excess of carbon in our atmosphere already wreaking havoc on our climate. Science is leading the way in this field and there are some exciting innovations.
- Marine ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
The ocean is a total powerhouse when it comes to regulating the Earth’s climate, yet human actions have wreaked havoc on marine ecosystems. In order to rebalance our planet, we must protect our oceans and revolutionise the way we fish, the world over.
- Forest ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Forests are astonishing places. Not only are they important habitats for millions of species, but they also play a crucial role in mitigating the effects of climate change. We must invest in worldwide conservation projects dedicated to preserving them.
- Climate-Resilient CommunitiesCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Poverty and climate change are cruelly interlinked and this is especially true when you look at access to clean energy and water. Projects that champion clean energy solutions and which work to create climate-resilient communities are an integral part of the fight to save our planet.
- Food & AgricultureCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Food, agriculture and the climate crisis are inextricably linked. Fortunately there are sustainable food organisations and forward thinking farmers out there fighting for positive change. These are the people we need to get behind.
- Education & AdvocacyCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Don’t underestimate the power of a well informed public - this puts pressure on governments and businesses, and that drives change. These organisations are enabling systemic change among the mainstream by educating and challenging the status quo.
Set up once,
You make one monthly donation and we'll distribute it between the causes in your personal collection.Create your collection
- We'll start you off with £10 free credit towards your chosen causes so you have a chance to see how Tythe works.
No platform fees
- We don't charge any admin fee or commission on donations. Your charities receive the full amount minus third party card fees.
Tangible impact updates
- We'll keep you engaged with the actions you're supporting, and help you understand the actual difference you're making.