Light is essential for life but without access to electricity, 548 million people across sub-Saharan Africa are resorting to dangerous, polluting alternatives like kerosene lamps and crude oil candles.
In response, SolarAid has pioneered a simple solution with a huge impact. By working together with local communities, the project has provided solar lights to homes, schools and hospitals. In real terms, that means 12,300,000 people now have access to clean, safe, solar light and 2,400,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions has been averted.
Their sights are now set on lighting up every home, school and clinic in Africa by 2030 using safe, clean, solar power.
Why we think they're great
SolarAid's mantra is 'trade not aid' and that's what sets them apart from other organisations. Rather than gifting solar lights on a traditional charitable basis, they've created a sustainable local market for solar lights, through their social enterprise, Sunny Money. In doing so, they've given local people ownership over the sale of lights, have built trust in renewable energy and have created resilient local economies.
Other selected charities:
- Reimagining CarbonCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
If we want to sustain life on this planet we need to cut our carbon emissions, while also dealing with the excess of carbon in our atmosphere already wreaking havoc on our climate. Science is leading the way in this field and there are some exciting innovations.
- Marine ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
The ocean is a total powerhouse when it comes to regulating the Earth’s climate, yet human actions have wreaked havoc on marine ecosystems. In order to rebalance our planet, we must protect our oceans and revolutionise the way we fish, the world over.
- Forest ConservationCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Forests are astonishing places. Not only are they important habitats for millions of species, but they also play a crucial role in mitigating the effects of climate change. We must invest in worldwide conservation projects dedicated to preserving them.
- Climate-Resilient CommunitiesCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Poverty and climate change are cruelly interlinked and this is especially true when you look at access to clean energy and water. Projects that champion clean energy solutions and which work to create climate-resilient communities are an integral part of the fight to save our planet.
- Food & AgricultureCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Food, agriculture and the climate crisis are inextricably linked. Fortunately there are sustainable food organisations and forward thinking farmers out there fighting for positive change. These are the people we need to get behind.
- Education & AdvocacyCurated by Giving is Great2 charities
Don’t underestimate the power of a well informed public - this puts pressure on governments and businesses, and that drives change. These organisations are enabling systemic change among the mainstream by educating and challenging the status quo.
Set up once,
You make one monthly donation and we'll distribute it between the causes in your personal collection.Create your collection
- We'll start you off with £10 free credit towards your chosen causes so you have a chance to see how Tythe works.
No platform fees
- We don't charge any admin fee or commission on donations. Your charities receive the full amount minus third party card fees.
Tangible impact updates
- We'll keep you engaged with the actions you're supporting, and help you understand the actual difference you're making.